Dr Sandy Gordon
Sandy has thirty years of relevant experience as a sport psychologist working with a range of professional and amateur athletes, coaches and administrators. His current applied interests are focused on positive psychology applications of strengths-based approaches to coaching psychology in various performance settings including schools.
Over the last ten years, Sandy has featured as the keynote presenter to more than twenty national and international sport and business conferences largely due to his ability to translate sport research results into practical and relevant tools for the business community.
He has tirelessly worked to enhance the performance and personal growth of professional sport teams and individuals (athletes, coaches, officials, administrators) through tailored mental skills training and resilience development programs.
He has been an invited author for a myriad of coaching and resilience development handbooks, and has over thirty peer-reviewed academic articles on resilience and mental toughness.
After 30 years at The University of Western Australia (UWA), Sandy was recently appointed Senior Honorary Fellow.
Qualifications and Accreditations:
- MA and PhD – Sport Psychology – University of Alberta (Edmonton)
- DipPE – Jordanhill College (Glasgow); DipEd and MEd - Aberdeen University
- Dip Positive Psychology and Wellbeing – Langley Group Institute, Sydney
- Advanced and Professional Development Certificates: Executive Coaching, University of Sydney, Coaching Psychology Unit
- Registered Sport Psychologist in Australia, and Fellow – Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Member of the APS College of Sport and Exercise Psychologists and Coaching Psychology Interest Group
- Accredited Practitioner –
- AFL/APS Tackle Your Feelings Psychologist facilitator
- Athlete Assessments DISC
- Diamond Power Index
- Hogan Assessment Systems
- Lumina Spark
- Strengths Profile
- Accredited user of Motivational Interviewing and Open Space Technology
Barb has 25 years of relevant experience as a consultant and academic, delivering programs in leadership, facilitating high performance teams, executive coaching, change management, organisational behaviour, managing unconscious bias and organisational strategy. Her client list has included local and state government departments, construction and energy companies, banks and extensive Western Australian government departments. She developed and helped to deliver multi-level complex leadership development programs for BHP Billiton Iron Ore and BHP Billiton Nickel West.
Barb was responsible for the implementation and management of the Master of Business Administration (MBA) Program at The University of Western Australia Business School for ten years. She personally designed the MBA leading and facilitating teams and leadership coaching units and was three times nominated for National Teaching Awards. She has taught the MBA Organisational Behaviour unit for more than seventeen years.
For more than a decade, Barb’s commitment to customised training has resulted in a number of investigations on how best to use appreciative facilitation and coaching techniques to support positive change. By carefully understanding the “objective” of each client undertaking, Barb seeks to generate user-friendly, collaborative, and high impact outcomes through systemic multi-tiered responses. Embedding return of investment metrics in client programs is a consistent addition in Barb’s programs.
Qualifications and Accreditations
- MA – Sport Administration - University of Alberta (Edmonton)
- BA and Bachelor of Physical Education – Queen’s University (Kingston, Ontario)
- Accredited Practitioner -
- Myers Briggs Type Inventory
- Hogan Assessment Systems
- Lifestyles Inventory (Human Synergistics)
- The Leadership Circle
- Collective Leadership Circle
- Emotional Intelligence – EQi 3.0
- Team Synergy Scale
- Strategic Alliance in Lumina Learning Products (Accredited to deliver Lumina Spark, Lumina Select)
- Accredited user of Open Space Technology, Creative Conflict Methodologies
- Certified Level One coach – Institute of Executive Coaching and Leadership